Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Just another fender bender


Today started off pretty well. We had a mini highschool reunion at Chick-fil-a. The waiter even got us some balloons to celebrate. We chatted and visited for a long while – laughing, remembering, sharing pictures, and getting caught up.
Then I headed out for a day of exploration. I felt a bit homesick – that usually happens around day seven. As I was walking along a path, I found a huge log balanced half in the lake and half on land. I crawled up on it, and sat looking at the lake and listening to my music. There were a lot of dragonflies flitting all over, and even a heron stopped by for a visit.
At another point on my rambles, I explored the old granite quarry. There was a railroad bridge that I had to walk under on the way in, and I was able to watch the train going by on the way back. I even got a phone call from my son. He’d called to find out where the stamps were at home. I began giving him detailed directions to walk him to the spot where I kept them, “Go into the sitting room, go to the cabinet with the broken pane of glass. Now look in the little box with the farm scene on it that Pam gave me. They’re right in –“ then I realized that they were actually in the little cold stone creamery bag in the front seat of my car. I’d grabbed them to use to send postcards to Grammy along the way. I could hear my son mumbling about how expensive stamps are…
The whole day was like that – full of incredible moments where life just felt so good.
But then, on the way back to my friend’s house, I got into a car accident. I was turning left, and I didn’t see him coming. We both tried stopping, and he ended up hitting the back end of my car. No one was hurt, and there was very little damage done. But I’ve got new citation as a souvenir, and a heart full of guilt.
I should have… Oh that list is a mile long right now. I’m very patient with everyone around me. But I have so little tolerance for my own mistakes.
But my Savior died for that, too. He knew each scrape I’d get myself into. And He littered my path with blessings to remind me that He still loves me, that He forgave me – even when…




1 comment:

  1. You are so hard on yourself Monica...I know the feeling oh too well. May you find peace in the moment. xo

    ReplyDelete