Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Temptation


It's not about having to say no to temptation over and over again. 
It's just about keeping your eyes on the cross.

So I’ve been thinking… Yes, you do a lot of that on a road trip. And the places my mind takes me are just as varied as the places my car’s been going lately. This particular thought process focused on temptation.
Why is it that we can be super good at resisting temptation, saying no 9,999 times, but that the one time we say yes the whole house of cards comes tumbling down? No matter how many times I say no, that one yes is going to knock me all the way back down to the bottom rung of the ladder. It’s hopeless. So what’s the point?
Now I know that Christ died for me, and that His shed blood has washed me clean as new-fallen snow, and that my sins – past, present, and future -- are as far from me as the East is from the West.  But I also know that Christ turned to the unstoned woman and told her, “Go now, and sin no more.” I’m supposed to be perfect. I’m supposed to be sin-free. I’m supposed to say no all 10,000 times.
But I can’t.
And then my music station gets staticky as I’m driving along the road. I switch to a new station, and suddenly God’s shouting at me through the voice on the radio. “Sin is still in me! Without Him I can do nothing! I need a Savior on a daily, ongoing basis!”
And I hear, and begin to understand.
I finally accepted my failures. I faced my inabilities. I renewed my commitment as I drove through Baton Rouge.

Abba –
I cave every time.
Always have. Always will.
I’m human. I’m weak.
In my moment of temptation,
I will turn to the cross.
I won’t even try to resist.
I’ll simply cave into Your arms.
And let You resist.
I am insufficient.
You are almighty.

That’s the point – isn’t it? To end up in His arms…

No comments:

Post a Comment