Pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

Discovering Peace


I have a beloved friend who’s heart was horrifically broken yesterday. She’s a dear friend who’s always been there through my own heart breaks. So it’s instinctive to want to step up and cherish her through her own…

I can still remember that first conference we were both at – a prayer retreat off in the woods somewhere. It was years ago, maybe even decades – back when our boys were still almost babies…

We sat down and prayed together. I remember her prayer request because I’ve prayed it often over the years. She asked for peace. She wanted to be the peace in her household.

Today I’m going to sit with her for a bit. And she told me to bring my peace.

“I will.” I answered confidently.

But today, in my shower, as I cleansed my outsides with soap and my insides with tears I questioned if I had any peace to bring. It’s been a very difficult year already, and this tragedy is peace-shattering…

But my Rock Solid All-Knowing Oh-So-Loving Abba gently whispers down there is still Peace.
      Peace is not an absence of tears.
      Peace is not an absence of questions.
      Peace does not mean not wondering why.
      Peace is not an absence of pain. Peace comes in spite of pain. Hand in hand with pain. 
            Because of pain.

Without the pain, without the wars, without the tragedies, we wouldn’t understand the need for peace.

Peace is simply letting Abba into the pain, and letting Him remind you that He is bigger than even this. That somehow, some day, this, too, shall pass. 

P – patiently
E – enduring,
A – accepting
C – Christ’s
E – Everlasting
LOVE

Please pray today, that my friend is wrapped in His peace.
How can we pray for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment