Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

It's time...

I got the call last night that my application has been approved.Tonight I'm going to head out to the Second Chance Animal Shelter to find my new soulmate.
I'm getting a pedicure this afternoon because it's imperative that my feet are up to snuff for that first sniff. What do you wear for such an important first impression?
I am so excited right now that there isn't even an iota of fear about the important I have with my oncologist in two hours...

Isn't it neat how God works?

I remember when I first thought of getting a dog. I wanted a companion to fill the empty nest and to hike in the woods with me. But instead of the butterflies of excitement I have now, it was dragonflies of fear whenever I thought of the commitment. What if I'm too tired? What if I need another surgery -- who'll take it for walks? What if the cancer comes back? How do you explain to a dog that you're dying? Who will tell the puppy waiting for me by the door that I'll never get home?

Cancer can take away your ability and desire to make long term plans and commitments.

But God can give it back.

I also remember the day when I shared these fears with a friend. Before I could even finish my list of what if's, she barged right in with the simple words, "I'll take him" and the simple promise that no matter what happened to me, that dog would still be loved. 

Friends -- do you have any idea what heavy loads you lift off tired shoulders with only your simple words?

Just the reminder that no one truly walks alone helps get me through the darker days.
But today there's not even a hint of darkness.
Because today I'm letting go of the fears and embracing the Hope.

This May marks 6 years since my diagnosis.
Six years!

Every milestone this year will bump me out of that dreaded 3-5 bracket and into a whole new future. And I'm ready to share that future. 
Time to pet proof the house...

No comments:

Post a Comment