Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Homelessness


I’m swinging on my porch swing, journaling and wondering what Wesley’s doing right now.

I taught my son to be independent. But sometimes I so miss his dependence. Grampa used to tell
Grammy that she was pushing her boys away with one hand, yet clinging to them with the other. I have such mixed feelings when watching my son grow up.

I’m so heart-swellingly proud of the young man he’s become. But… Remember when…

My son’s newest endeavor is to experience what it’s like to be homeless. 
With a friend from college, he’s spending two weeks on the streets of a city an hour and a half away.
He thought ahead. He made provisions and sought wise counsel. He prayed, planned, and prepared. He’s got a deacon at a nearby church in contact, and he’s checking in.
But…

And then Abba steps in with His own ‘Remember when’s.

Hey, Moi – Remember when you were young and pregnant? When you thought you’d have to give the baby up for adoption?
Remember that first day he spent with his dad, away from you?
Remember that first time you put him on a bus with a complete stranger?
Remember the day he got his license and drove off alone?
Remember when you dropped him off at college?
Remember just a couple of weeks ago? When you gave him back to Me?
Remember when you fell down the waterfall and woke up in My arms? 
I’m holding him, too. Wherever he is, wherever he goes. 

This life is not about playing it safe, or having a good time. 
It’s not about being healthy and wealthy. It’s not even about having loved ones around you, or having a place to lay your head at night. 

It’s about getting to know the God Who loves us beyond words.

Sometimes we can’t do that from a porch swing.
But the contented peace in this mother’s heart confirms that sometimes we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment