Pages

Friday, November 16, 2012

One Last Lesson

Today I had what might be my last lesson on prayer from my grandmother.
She's the matriarch of the Nelson family. The glue that holds the four grands and six greats together. The prayer warrior who intercedes for all of her loved one's loved ones.

But she's tired.
So I told her that I would let her go. But that I would miss her prayers. And she began to teach me how to pray.

"God will give you the words," she promised. "He'll tell you who to pray for in each moment. Sometimes it's just a quick whisper. And don't be afraid to not pray for someone else - God will keep them covered. Listen. He will talk with you." Then her eyes grew grave, "Pray for the little ones. Pray that God will send His guardian angels to shelter them from the evil one."

She then told me that she didn't want to lay a prayer burden on me.
And she didn't. She just passed on a torch.
It's my turn to step up to the plate.
Or, rather, to kneel on the mat.

Love you, Grammy!

No comments:

Post a Comment