Pages

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Good morning from, hold on, I'm in... Oh yeah, Nebraska

Day four
Am I really already on day five???

Day three was a long day of driving. I woke up in Pennsylvania, then I spread out my blanket in the sun and had a picnic lunch somewhere in Ohio. At a mid afternoon bathroom break I picked up a Starbuck's refresher. I've never tried an energy drink, and I don't drink coffee, so I was left refreshed enough to drive right through Indiana and into Illinois. I also slipped into another time zone and gained an hour of driving time. 682 miles. Not my longest, but a good day.

Day four was more relaxed. I got an earlier start and squeezed in more sightseeing. Only about 530 miles that day. I saw eight windmill turbines being driven down the highway. I popped into "American Picker"'s Antique Archeology. I saw the world's largest truck stop - with 900 trucker spots. I saw an 11 foot Easter Island type Maui head, walked through a garden that trumps Tower Hill, took some pictures of Freedom Rock, and stood underneath a VW bug that had been transformed into a huge spider. Really. I'll show you a picture.

The best part, though, was walking along the longest pedestrian bridge linking two states and taking a picture while standing in both. Not quite Four Corners, but on a bridge, in two states, taking a picture - as the sun was thinking about setting. This is why I road trip.

Well, that, and all of the alone time to chat with Abba. And the friends and family I greet along the way. Today I'm hoping to bump into a cousin in Boulder. Then I'll turn my car in a more southerly direction and head on down to Houston.

Thanks for all the comments on my pics - it kind of feels like you're along for the ride with me. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment