Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Are You Listening???


I didn’t get good news when I called the mechanic about my car yesterday morning. He swapped the sensor on the new (used) transmission, but the speedometer was still wobbly. He would need to open up the dashboard and look inside to find the problem, and it could be very expensive. I asked if it would be less than $500, and he simply repeated that it could be very expensive.
Finally I told him to take it apart and look at it. If it was too expensive, I’d just have him put it back together and ignore the bobbling orange needle.
Then I prayed.
But I couldn’t hear God’s answer. I asked for a number – then I’d know if I should have it repaired or not. If the cost of repairs was higher than that number, I’d know to say no. But no number was given. I asked for a yes/no – should I repair it? Should I begin car shopping? But no answer. I began to get frustrated. Finally I asked Him if He was even listening. But my heart knew that He was. So I kept asking, and then simply placed it in His hands. Because I know He’s got this, too. Somehow.
I went to work, driving the smart one – so thankful that mom had bought it before she left. I waited, checking my phone whenever I had a break throughout the day. Around 1:45, in the middle of my prep period, the mechanic called.
He’d opened up the dash and tried a couple of things, but nothing fixed the problem. Then, he decided to check inside the new (used) transmission, and found a loose gear. He said this is a very rare problem and he’d never seen it in a Toyota before. He’s already ordered a new (used) transmission. Unfortunately it’ll be another week, but it won’t cost me anything.
Which is why God didn’t give me a number. He knew I really didn’t need one. He wasn’t ignoring me at all. He just wanted me to wait and see. To trust Him. To let Him be God of all the details…
Is there anything you need to leave in God’s hands today?

1 comment:

  1. My youngest daughter has a "syndrome" that involves recurrent vomiting episodes. We have found that eliminating sugar from her diet has made it go away. Almost. She has had two one-day episodes in the last 6 months (which is better than 5-day episodes every 3 weeks!). Anyway, I have a really difficult time trusting God about her...trusting in the sense that I give her to God and just stop worrying. It gets especially difficult when we're about to go on vacation, especially if we're about to get on a plane. Which we are next week. Will she be sick? I was reminded from your book about completely handing her over to God much like Abraham was willing to give his son. Totally and completely. Mark and I have been praying for Audrey's healing. Yesterday, God challenged me with, "If I told you she is healed, would you have the faith to just stop worrying this week?" I was honest. I told him I want to have the faith. I want to trust. I want to stop worrying. I want Him to take the worry. (Sorry this is getting lengthy! :-)) I have been praying for trust and faith...reminds me of the man who asked Jesus to help him with his unbelief. Anyway, I so appreciate your post today and the reminder that God is in control. He loves us. He wants what is best. He wants my sweet little girl to be able to be a normal little girl who doesn't have to turn down an Oreo if a friend wants to share. He loves me too and wants the best for me. I need to trust Him. If He chooses not to answer in the way I want, He will give me (and my baby) the strength to face whatever comes. So thank you for the reminder to trust Him in EVERY detail and to stop worrying!

    ReplyDelete