Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

But for...


“There but for the grace of God, go I.”
I’ve thought that so many times.
When I see single moms struggling to make ends meet. When I bump into bitter and angry cancer survivors fighting desperately for one more day, week, month… When I see sad and lonely people lost in crowds.
My heart breaks over the shooting in CT. That could have been my classroom. Those could have been my little ones.
But by the grace of God it wasn’t.
Here’s where I might make a few enemies – my heat breaks for the shooter.
Yes, the pain and loss of those 18 innocent little ones was a horrifying tragedy. But if those little ones are all where I think they are now, then their tragedy is over and their joy is complete.
But the shooter? Where is his soul?
And my heart weeps in fear of the answer.
Because there, but for the grace of God, go we all.
You see, I used to be bitter, angry, alone. I never picked up a gun, but I did lash out at the innocent with my tongue now and then before God’s grace got a grip on me. Who knows where I’d be now…
So why did God’s grace catch me, and not him?
Here’s my simple theory: I had a grandmother who prayed for me.
I don’t think he did.
And it breaks my heart to realize it too late to help him. But it opens my eyes a bit wider, too.
Will you open yours with me? Let’s look for someone to pray for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment