Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Today's the Day

Today's the day I swore would never come.
It's the day I drive my little one to boarding school and drop him off.
I can still so clearly remember the day I was dropped off. I was 12. New to Africa. New to boarding school. 
My dad carried my old suitcase into my new room and set it down in the middle of the floor.
There were two dressers, two desks, two beds, and a curtain for a door. I didn't know which bed was mine, so I sat down on my suitcase as my parents said good-bye and walked away
leaving me behind...
I promised to never do that to my own child.
But I'm going to. Today.
Granted, he's very excited about the whole thing. 
He's 18. He chose the school -- he chose to go to school. It's not like I'm leaving him behind. It's more like -- like he's leaving me behind...
And for a moment I'm back sitting on that suitcase. 
But just for a moment.
Because life moves on. And Life Is Good.
The last 18 years are Proof of that!
I'm letting him go.
Gracefully. Gratefully. As the Abba Who will never leave me holds my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy. Your encouragement today helped. Expect a tearful text. :)

      Delete