Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Bug on a Window


The other day, I innocently crawled into my car, buckled up, and started the engine. Then I noticed the bug on my driver’s side window. Now, normally, bugs don’t bother me at all. But when I’m restrained in a confined space and suddenly discover one two inches from my eyeball I am prone to a bit of panic. But before I began screaming, I cautiously reached over to touch the glass and confirm if the little critter was on the inside or outside. Finding him safely outside, I shifted into reverse and began my journey.

But as I began picking up speed, shifting into first, then second, then third, I watched the little bug clinging desperately to my window. Every maternal instinct kicked in, and I found myself praying for that poor bug…

And it got me thinking. How I felt about that bug is how I should feel about all the people around me. Some of us are just hanging on for dear life. We were merely flying around our happy world. We stopped to rest for a moment, then suddenly our safe, still world began rocketing forward at a speed we never imagined possible. We have no clue what’s going on. We can’t even begin to imagine what might happen next. We cling with every ounce of strength and desperation we can squeeze out of our petrified hearts – never realizing that sometimes it might be better to simply let go.
Because We’ve got a safety net behind us. We’ve got a God Who controls the speed of the vehicle, and shifts the directions of the winds. Sometimes our world isn’t supposed to be under our control – but it’s always under His.

Oh what a peace I find in this:  
My God has absolute authority over all of my unknowns. 
And He loves me more than I could ever know or long for…

So I learned two things from that little bug on my window.
One -- I need to be more faithful about praying for all of the people God brings across my path. I ought to be praying for them so much more fervently than for that little critter.

Two -- I need to let go. To stop trying to make my world right again in my own strength. To trust that each new chaos can lead to a beautiful bout of trust as I float on the breeze of His guidance.

I don’t know what happened to that bug. I glanced back at the window and he was gone. But I’m hopeful. I’ve nicknamed him Enoch…

No comments:

Post a Comment